Beet and sweet potato nuggetsDifficulty: Easy
12square shaped nuggets
Packed with essential nutrients, beetroot are a great source of fibre, iron, vitamin C. Green lentils are also an excellent source of protein so this recipe is full of health benefits and therefore not only fills up your tummy but satisfy you to the best.
For mums – this is a great way to include different types of vegetables into your kid’s everyday meal. Serve it on its own or as a burger and they will enjoy it.
1 raw beet – shredded or grated
2 medium sweet potato
1 onion finely chopped
1 tbsp rice flour
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 tsp salt (feel free to change according to your taste)
1/2 tsp freshly grounded black pepper
1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
Zest of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup boiled green lentil
1/2 tsp grated ginger
- In a sauce pan, pour one cup of water and add green lentils. Boil on a low flame for 15-20 minutes. Drain off the excess water (if any) and keep aside to cool.
- In a bowl, add the grated beet, grated sweet potato, grated ginger, chopped onion, boiled green lentils, rice flour, lemon zest, cumin powder, cayenne pepper, pumpkin seeds, salt, freshly ground black pepper and bread crumbs
- Mix them all well until combined
- Take a little olive oil on your palm and form the mixture into small square shaped nuggets (or any other shape of your choice)
- Shallow fry the nuggets
- Heat enough olive oil in a pan/skillet to shallow fry the nuggets over medium flame.
- When the oil is hot enough, place the nuggets carefully
- Bring the flame down to low and cook them for 3-5 minutes until they turn golden brown on both the sides
Bake the nuggets
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit (180 degree Celsius)
- Lightly grease a baking dish or line it with parchment paper
- Lay all the nuggets at a distance for air to circulate
- Bake for 35 minutes, flipping half way after 15 minutes or until the nuggets are lightly brown on both sides
- These nuggets can also be served in a tortilla wrap with spinach, cheese, vegetarian mayo and other dressing of your choice.