Chocolate hazelnut tartDifficulty: Easy
This is a really indulgent recipe with a soft crunch of pastry, smooth chocolate filling with a crunchy and nutty bite of hazelnut.
Store bought shortcrust pastry (375 gm)
400 ml double cream
200 gm dark chocolate(70% cocoa)
1/4 cup toasted roughly chopped hazelnut
70 gm caster sugar
15 gm honey
25 gm cacao or cocoa powder
2 tbsp full fat milk
1 tsp instant coffee
1 tsp vanilla paste/essence
1 tbsp cornflour
2 tbsp butter
- Roll the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Lay the sheet over a large 24 cm tart case and gently press into the edges.
- Line inside of the tart case with baking parchment papered fill with baking beans or raw chickpeas.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees/356 F/Gas mark 4 and bake the tart for 15 mins, then remove the beans and parchment paper. Cook the tart for another 5 mins. Leave it to cool.
- For the filling
- Mix the cornflour and milk together until smooth
- Finely chop the chocolate and keep aside.
- Pour the cream into a heavy based saucepan, then add the finely chopped chocolate, cacao powder or cocoa powder, instant coffee and butter.
- Place the saucepan on a medium flame and whisk gently. Do not over-mix as there might be air bubbles. Just whisk the mixture to remove any lumps. Once everything is mixed together and chocolate melts then switch off the flame.
- Whisk in the cornflour and milk mixture smoothly.
- Put the pan back on a low flame. Keep stirring until the mixture thickens, which should be about 7-10 mins. But it could be less or more time too.
- Take pan off the flame and mix in the honey.
- Now let mixture cool down a bit then place it into the fridge for 10-15 mins.
- Pour the filling mixture into the baked shortcrust pastry tart. Decorate it with toasted chopped hazelnut. Put it back into the fridge for at least 4 hours. Leave in the fridge overnight for best result.
- Serve this tart with a little whipped cream and fresh summer berries