Banana and date loaf (Eggless)Course: DesertDifficulty: Medium
Enjoy this delicious and guilt free banana-date loaf.
3 medium sized ripe banana
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup plain yoghurt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp vinegar
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp pecans
Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- Dry ingredients
- In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and v
- Wet ingredients
- In a separate bowl, add sugar, olive oil, vinegar and yoghurt. Beat it for about 2 minuted until well combined.
Electric mixer or a hand blender may work best but you can also beat by hand with appropriate spoon.
- Line a loaf tin with parchment paper and pre-heat oven at 180 degree Celsius (or 356 degree Fahrenheit or gas mark 4)
- Put the dates in a small sauce pan along with lemon juice and zest. Add measurement water and bring it to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes until the dates are soft and pulpy. Switch off the heat and mash the mixture until it is cool. Leave it to cool.
- Mash/blend the bananas to make a puree and keep it aside
- Sieve the dry ingredients through into the wet ingredients mixture and mix well.
- Fold in the roasted chopped pecans and reserve some for decoration
- Spoon half of the banana cake mixture into the loaf tin
- Spoon over the date puree and spread evenly
- Add remaining banana cake mixture and level the surface
- Scatter the reserved pecans on the cake mixture surface
- Bake for 55-60 minutes in a pre-heated oven until risen and skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean
- Leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes. Loosen at the end and transfer to the cooling rack
- Pecans can be replaced with walnuts